Tuesday, November 27, 2012

You can't Handle it Without Him



I always hear people say "God will never give you more than you can handle." I also see a lot of comments protesting against this saying, some include: "God won't give me more than I can handle, He must think I'm pretty strong!" "I've heard God won't give you more than you can handle.. well I'm at my breaking point!" I thought to myself the last few times, does this even come from the Bible? So I looked it up, and here's what I found.

The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.- 1 Corinthians 10:13


  The scripture above speaks of false idols, temptations or anything that we would put first, before Christ. The truth is, yes, we will have things in our lives that we cannot handle on our own. There will be hard times, there will be loss, there will be battles in and of ourselves as well as with others. But He is so faithful, that He is telling us "I've got this..", "I won't let you fall". Remember playing CandyLand and picking the card with the candy that is closest to the Castle? (somehow my 5 y/o pick that every time! I'm not bitter..) That's what God does for us, He give us a way out and by doing so, it is not we who handle anything, but God Himself. 

  There will be times when we struggle to get up, when it hurts to move on. Times when it seems it would be better to give in, and give up. Yet, He steps in and gives us a motive. He is our strength:


But the Lord is faithful; he will strengthen you and guard you from the evil one.- 2 Thessalonians 3:3 

  There are times we think we are going to lose it, that we're at breaking point and He's right there ASKING for us to give Him our problems, our stress. He grants us endurance:

Give your burdens to the Lord, and he will take care of you.
He will not permit the godly to slip and fall.- Psalm 55:22

 
And just when we think we are done "relying" on Him, and we're laying prostrate, exhausted from carrying or sobbing.. what does He do? He gives us rest:


Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.- Matthew 11:28


When He is ruler of Your heart, the saying has some truth to it.. He won't give us anything we can't handle with His help. I would be lying if I said I never uttered the old saying myself, but I will never use it again. Why? I see too many being hurt by the misinterpretation, too many people become angry. The fact is, we sometimes can't handle things on our own strength or might.. but only through His spirit. I thank God that when temptation rears it's ugly head, that there's a bridge waiting for me to put me back on course. He gives us peace in our hearts, indescribable peace even though our world is falling apart around us.. our hearts hold steadfast under His wing.
"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33


<>< Blessings!






No comments:

Post a Comment