Monday, February 28, 2011

Listening to Hear

    My family and I had the privilege of going away this past weekend, to Maine, our favorite place! We were blessed to spend time with friends, and just step "outside the box" from our routine and every day life. While we were there, it was the first time I've slept anywhere in a long time without noise from the outside world.. so of course, sleeping was hard.. lol. I know it sounds crazy, but it hurt my ears b/c it was so quiet! Though, what else do you do in the quietness, but listen?

    So as my son and husband were in dream land, I lay there.. just listening. I realized how I personally, never do that. Sure I listen to people and listen to music.. but I never just lay there and try to hear. I continually pray for answers and guidance and for needs of others and myself... but I never listen, it's something I plan on doing a lot more. I don't believe God shouts.. He's so big, He shouldn't have to. If we're constantly asking Him for direction, or help.. how can we ever expect to get the answer if we don't stop and let Him speak?

   Listening with my heart, is probably the longest learning process I've had in my personal walk with Christ. I tend to think, pray and search for His answers, instead of watch and listen for them. I think this is why the Lord talks to me a lot in my sleep, or wakes me during the night. It's the only time He has my undivided attention. Listening is essential in the process of hearing. We all need to take time to "be still and know" (Psalm 46:10), and   hear that still small voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment