Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fighting a revengeful spirit

18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:


   “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; 
   if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. 
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” -Romans 12:18-20


    These words are so difficult to live by especially when you've been hurt or have seen loved ones hurt. But the Lord commands us to love one another, and pray for our enemies. I've always tried to see the good in everything, and everyone. If I dislike someone (which isn't a common thing), I pray about it and then pick out the traits I like about them. It helps to connect with the traits and interests to find common ground and keep the peace. But, I'll admit.. I find myself  really struggling with that this week. I see people being so two-faced and fake, it's doesn't break my heart.. it makes me furious! 


   I've never understood, or been a fan of speaking love to someone's face, and cursing them behind there back. It makes it even more infuriating to watch them perform this in public, and knowing what's behind their mask. To add to the fury, they walk around calling themselves a CHRISTIAN. How can you give yourself that title that is such a privilege to have, and HATE your own brother or sister? Didn't Jesus even reach out first to the Jews, then to the Gentiles? If you cannot forgive and love your brother/sister in Christ, how can you even begin to think you will be effective in showing His love to the world?


   We read in 2 Corinthians 2:5-11 as Paul writes:
 5 If anyone has caused grief, he has not so much grieved me as he has grieved all of you to some extent—not to put it too severely. 6 The punishment inflicted on him by the majority is sufficient. 7 Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. 8 I urge you, therefore, to reaffirm your love for him. 9 Another reason I wrote you was to see if you would stand the test and be obedient in everything. 10Anyone you forgive, I also forgive. And what I have forgiven—if there was anything to forgive—I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake, 11 in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.
     
   We need to wake up and see it all for what it really is. Satan is out to destroy, and if he can't do that from the outside, he will work it from the inside. Brother against brother isn't anything but a plot being whispered in the ears of the weak. The enemy isn't a simpleton, he knows our downfalls better than we do.. but it is in our power to overcome those downfalls through Christ. How can we avoid falling into his plot? By being on guard. If you're comfortable, you're not on guard. If you're walking a double life, you're not on guard. It's time to man up, put on the armor of God and continually train yourself up for war against the enemy. This is what we are CALLED to do, live a life in fear of the Lord and walk in a way that believers and non-believers alike can learn from. 


Lord, forgive me that I allow my flesh to step in and get the best of me. Help me to love, forgive and not let bitterness hinder the good work you have begun in me. I pray this prayer for me, and my brothers and sisters as well. Help us all to cling to your word, and not look to the left or right.. but to always keep our eyes on the hills. Your will be done in all things I pray. In your name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment