Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"Play date" with Jesus

I never thought I would cry over a child pretending.. but when your son pretends he is watching Jesus on the cross, and he is on the verge of tears himself, it does some thing to your heart.

   Kai and Alyssa were playing quietly in the living room, when Kai picked up a piece of paper and pretended to read it. He turns to his cousin and says "Lyssa! We have to go to the Kingdom! It's far far away." I immediately thought he got it from the movie Shrek 2. So off they went into the" Kingdom", which just so happens to reside in my kitchen. I hear him whispering, and asked him what they were doing (it's a mom thing) he told me "shhh we're hiding in the Kingdom". Assured that they weren't trying to escape, I sat back and just listened from the other room. I heard Kai whisper "see? see the angel lyssa?" Then a few moments later he whispered "let's find Jesus.." So they walk slowly in the living room in search of Jesus. Malakai then changed the story saying, "Look! There's Jesus! He's up there on the cross! That guy's gonna hurt him.." While Alyssa lost interest being the younger one, Kai turned to me and said "Look mommy! Jesus is on the cross!" As he told me, his eyes filled with tears, that he tried to smile away. He started to rub his eyes and walk over for a hug. Of course I reminded him of the rest of the story as he walked over.. and he joyfully told Alyssa "Look! He's alive!" He told me that Jesus was going up to Heaven, and pretend to wave and say good-bye. Then he asked Jesus "Can I go with you??" and pretended to hold Jesus' hand and took Alyssa's hand and they walked together to "the Kingdom". 

I wanted to share this because it's amazing to me that Jesus gives us ALL understanding. He knows exactly how our minds work.. He can give wisdom and understanding even to a child. The message of salvation is so simple.. He makes it so easy and we complicate it with fear. Fear to share, and fear to believe.. all He asks is we acknowledge Him and ask for forgiveness. Why is it so hard to explain as adults, when a child can play it out? I pray that I can truly acquire a child-like faith. What an awesome thing to see your son "play" with Jesus :)

Psalm 116:5-7
 5 How kind the Lord is! How good he is!
      So merciful, this God of ours!
 6 The Lord protects those of childlike faith;
      I was facing death, and he saved me.
 7 Let my soul be at rest again,
      for the Lord has been good to me.













1 comment:

  1. Many times we think, "Oh they're so young, they don't understand.". But it's stories like this that remind me God speaks to us right where we are. Young or old. He comes down to our level and touches us.
    Thank you so much for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete